I know, I know, I have missed a number of posts. I really am sorry. (Thanks to those who complained – nice to know you care.) :-)
My excuse? Traveling, working and preparing for travel. Not much of an excuse, but true and oh, so wonderful.
You see, I am leaving tomorrow on a dream trip – two months in Macedonia.
Remember that whole “creating the life you want” thing? Well, this trip is a result of Wishful Thinking working – I am returning to the people and places I love in the country where I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer for three years.
I returned to the States from my Peace Corps assignment on July 26, 2009. I arrived happy – I had just lived three of my best years; excited – I was going to see family and friends, who I loved and had missed so much; and frightened – I was starting over, I had given up my job and left behind my house when I decided to join the Peace Corps, and was wondering then “What’s next?”
To make sure that I kept going no matter how scared I got, I followed “My Courage Diet” (lots); focused on my goals (always, see below); talked to my friends (lots, thank you and see below); and constantly reminded myself to enjoy what unfolded along the way (lots and always).
Guess what, it worked!
My three “re-entry” goals were:
- Personal: Spend lots and lots of time with family and friends. Done and continuing: Three 2-6 week trips “up north” and many overnight stays in multiple Florida cities made possible by my sweet, funny, interesting, and warm family and friends, who opened their homes and hearts, which allowed me to reconnect with the people I love. I was there for the birth of my second grandson, one year ago today; to talk with my 90 year old Dad, who is still going strong (I will be posting soon about how he is creating the life he wants while dragging around oxygen tanks!); to reunite with some of my best Peace Corps buddies in Philly where we first met as Peace Corps prepared us to head overseas; to hang out with my siblings, one-on-one and en masse – there are 8; to laugh and cry with friends about this, that and some other things; and to spend so much time with my sons and their families that they don’t mind one little bit that I am heading out again
- Professional: Get my life coach certification and begin helping others create the life they want. Done and ongoing! Became certified in the fall of 2009; began blogging immediately, conducting workshops in Florida and Ohio soon after and coaching clients this summer. Each step has been absolutely fantastic! Thanks to all who helped make it happen – including you the reader.
- Personal and Professional: Return to Macedonia in a year to see friends and to bring Americans back with me for month-long stays. Done and ongoing! In 24 hours, I will be heading to Macedonia. While I am there, five adventurous Americans (my goal was four) will be joining me for three to four weeks. I will be sharing my favorite places in Macedonia with them and introducing them to my favorite people. How cool is that! This is the inaugural trip of a new venture, which next year will be expanded to include Wishful Thinking Works life coaching retreats – but more about that in a future post.
This past year, well 13.5 months to be exact, has been phenomenal and exceeded all of my expectations.
Thank you to each person, who helped make this year one of my best, including, but not limited to: Nate, Tim and Luann, Jonas and Dylan, Jeanne Marie, Judy and Larry, Kathy and Jan, Geri and Dave, Debbie and Tony, Jimmy and Sherrie, Bunny and Greg, Dad, Nellie (Special thanks!), Marci and Jeff, Dao, Malinda and Mark, Elizabeth, Charlene, Michel, Darlene, Pat, Jan, Sandy, Mattie, Sue P., Sharyn, Barb, Susan, Anne R., Eric and Paula, Glenda, Anne, Sally, Gretchen and Greg, Dawn, Crystal, Cindy, Sarah, Jesus, Mary, Sue R., Sue E., David, Angela, Virginia, Jim, Joe, the Rotary guys, and my workshop and coaching clients. I truly appreciate everything you did. You are wonderful, and have made my life a rich, fun and fulfilling place to be! Thank you.
I will be posting from Macedonia twice a week. I am planning on Mondays and Fridays, but since Internet access will vary depending on where I am staying, posting days may differ – but I promise to post twice a week from the road. I may phone post sometimes – for those of you who have not heard an audio post you can listen to my first here.
What to expect?
- Interviews with my fellow travelers and interesting folks from Macedonia.
- Funny stories – there are bound to be a few.
- Touching tales – those moments when the world grows smaller and you can feel your heart expanding.
- Life lessons learned along the way.
- And, photos, finally, photos! (The whole photo thing scares me, but I am stepping-up – wish me luck!)
Please join us for the journey.
If you have questions about Macedonia or our journey this year or next, feel free to comment here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. And, please share the blog with your friends so they can travel along with us: www.wishfulthinkingworks.com
To get you in the mood, here are great links about Macedonia.
Until we meet again (next week) “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” Christopher Robin to Pooh, A.A. Milne
If I were you, I would go for it. I know you can!
PS: I did some Link and Page updates even though I wasn’t posting. Check out the Life Coaching Link to learn all about the new programs I am offering. I will be coaching while I am on the road. If you are ready, so am I.
Today is the perfect time to begin creating the life you want.